Thursday, March 6, 2014

Tanka through the years


like the zip-on legs
of his new cargo-style shorts
which transform to pants,
   I zip two more lines to my
   haiku and make a tanka
[2003]
~~

reading these tanka
inspires new depth
to a new chapter
 and a way to organize
   my own poetic offering
[2005]
~~

the ice and snow
can melt now
we managed
   but after 3 days
   I'm out of ice cream!
[2006]
~~

above the fog
geese fly in formation
across the river
   how do they know
   which way is which?
[2007]
~~

new college prez
younger than my youngest child
what can he know?
   should we enroll
   our grandson?
[2008]
~~

slow, low-flying plane
(perhaps a helicopter)
shadowing dream fears
   finally it moves northward
   and my peace of mind returns.
[2009]
~~

good snow for snowman
no one here but too-old me
to construct one
   not too old to walk the yard
   in search of daffodil buds
[2010]
~~

looking everywhere
for the stepstool ... finding it
pushed under the table
   as we did years ago
   when our toddlers used it
[2011]
~~
c lovepat press, PL, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment