Thursday, March 20, 2014

~~Arkansas woodlands, PL~~

AN OZARK SPRING: a haibun

       I leave the Lucidity Poets Retreat in Eureka Springs, heading south on Highway 23-- the Pig Trail--my mind full of inspiration, eyes tuned to early spring things, Muse (Erato) perched on my shoulder.

       Passing a highway place sign, I see only several gray wooden shacks, perhaps once serving as campmeeting tents.

buildings in a row
under the mountain's sheer drop
Witter weathers well
 
       Farther on, around a curve,
 
cows rest in the mire
of a spring rain-soaked feedlot
close by, the traffic

       Sloping foothills reflect the many shades of spring-new meadows. Black and white cows season the greens--a panorama worthy of postcards and jigsaw puzzles. In pastures close to the highway, I notice

grass under cowpiles
shoots up higher than ordinary
--organic farming
 
 
       Across the road from a church,
 
wispy blonde broomsedge
waves through the graveyard fence
lonely? thirsty?
 
       South of Cass, close to I-40 and the flatlands, are
 
magenta faded,
old poke salet skeletons--
stripped and bleached white,
akimbo from winter winds--
still standing in spring pasture.
 
~~
from windfall persimmons: a collection of Oriental forms, 1995, PL, dba lovepat press

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I especially like "Black and white cows season the greens." I'm looking forward to seeing ES in its spring glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Especially like "Black and white cows season the greens." I'm looking forward to seeing some of that pastoral beauty next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dorothy, for commenting. Hope you enjoy spring wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't familiar with a haibun so I looked it up. Very nice and I learned something new.

    ReplyDelete