Thursday, August 2, 2012

Where did all the flowers go? (after Pete Seeger)


by Pat Laster

"Ain't it awful, the heat--ain't it awful...
from Kurt Weill's opera, "Street Scene"

Still too
hot for outside
work, so my flowers will
probably die. It's either them
or me.
~~~

Wind chime's
paddle moves but
not enough to set off
its tubing. Beyond, cat on my
new car.
~~~

"Rain as my Muse"

I sit
on the front porch
during a thunderstorm.
Like the plants sucking up water,
I wait,

seeking
in this morning
coolness, direction for
the next development in my
sequel.
~~~

Summer--
Why pay to lie
in a tanning booth with
heat lamp above? Spread a pallet
outside!
~~~

"Unrequited"

A huge
summer-wilted
blue jay zooms toward water,
sees the cat nearby, flies off, still
thirsty.
(1st place, Siloam Springs, 2007)

c 2012 by Pat Laster dba lovepat press

1 comment: