Thursday, August 16, 2012

(Some of us don't go) Back to School

"Not This Year--We've Retired!"

Fifty-
five years between
them, two retired teachers
don't go through the first-day-of-school
chaos.
~~~~

first day of school~
blue morning glory atop
the clump of kudzu
~~~~

"No sidewalks to School"

High school's
six blocks from home,
but I drive twenty blocks,
merge with cars from three schools on the
first day.
~~~~

second day of school~
child's new retainer thrown out
with his lunch trash
~~~~

"Unchanged Voices"

At two-
thirty, I hear
children pass by the house.
But no, it's junior high football
players.
~~~~

"Empty Nest"

Traces
of Billy, now
gone off to college: two-
-inch locks of brown curls still litter
the porch.

c 2012 by Pat Laster dba lovepat press

2 comments:

  1. I love back to school time. Even though no one in my house does it any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love back-to-school time, too, thankful that it's them and not me!

    ReplyDelete