Friday, November 12, 2010

Mid-November already?

Autumn is my favorite time of year. That is, when I can get out in it. And so far, I've been outside much of November. One of retirement's perks is the freedom, the leisure to bask in the luxury and ambience (or ambiance, if you prefer) of nature. Not only do I read the paper, but I can also observe the constantly changing landscape that inspires haiku, cinquains or tanka.

Six cats
gobble cheap food
from the sides of a cake
pan. A kitten plops down in the
middle.
~
four identical
coal-black cats with yellow eyes
my son calls The Moors
~
mild autumn morning
changing my writing venue
to face far-off woods
~
a flock of blackbirds
suddenly settles into
yonder hayfield
and just as suddenly rises
to glean another place
~
looking through
red-berried holly
to see fall's foliage
~
a cloudless fall sky
large, leafless hackberry
allows bird sightings
~
a sprig of pink mums
and three azalea blossoms
close enough to touch
~
sun warming my back
hackberry's yellow-green host
and haven to birds
~
c lovepat press November 2010
Pat Laster, A Journey of Choice (Amazon/ B&N)

1 comment:

  1. You have painted a very visual picture of fall. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete