Wednesday, May 23, 2018

One Memorial Day's poems

.
No breeze
except the one
made as I swing and write.
Birds still sleep? Not the usual
traffic.

As I
swing, the shadows
of the Norfolk pine grace
pages of the newspaper while
I read.


A small
brown butterfly
flits onto my paper
for a millisecond, then to

 pansies.
Even
most vehicles
sound subdued, respectful
on this Memorial Day as
they pass.
As if
in deference
to Memorial Day,
the flag--and the neighborhood are
quiet.

No scent
of charcoal, steak;
no raucous swim parties
on this Memorial Day. Still.
Somber.
Yarrow,
gardenias
and Easter lilies, all
white, two with strong aromas, all
blooming.

I love
to see a small
bird chasing a larger
one away from its habitat.
Go, bird!
Night bugs
beginning their
'time'. Wind chimes interfere
as does the roar of a bike. Still,
bugs rule!





c 2018, PL, d/b/a lovepat press, Benton AR USA


No comments:

Post a Comment