Wednesday, August 31, 2016

A poem for late summer

Photo by Thurman Couch, Pasadena CA

NOT YET 8 A. M.

I shuck
my sweaty clothes,
work shoes & sox, re-dress,
wash my face & arms & feet to
cool off.

Barely
a month into
my 80th year, I--
every third day, as my gardener
suggests--

water
the fifty new
plantings against summer's
heat. Thirty-seconds of wanded
water

into
the hearts & roots
of each--Knockout roses,
eleagnus, althea, crape
myrtle,

bridal-
wreath spirea,
redbud & yellowbell.
Like an old mule, I schlep the hose
forward.

Hoses--
all three of them--
make a 200-foot
red-and-green stream through the yard when
stretched.

Too tired
to move them back
to the narrow strip of
lawn where they stay, I give myself
a drink. 

c PL 2016

4 comments:

  1. I especially like the last to stanzas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. I did the watering & (last) feeding this morning. Was completely wet--shoes and all--when through. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Nice. I just used "schlep" in a poem last week. Great minds, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that word! Yes! Great minds. LOL What was the sentence in which schlep appeared?

      Delete