Saturday, June 25, 2016

It's hot, but not too hot for short poems

Pool party, July 4, 2015
 
The quintain on 'stars' that garnered an HM in the June PRA monthly:
 
TANKA

star-speckled evening
his tears fall as he buries
his pet kitten, Cal,
hit and killed crossing the road
while we were at campmeeting
~~

The following was published in the Fall 2016 issue of Lucidity Poetry Journal~Online:

UNDER THE OAKS
a Dorsimbra

I've had no luck at growing Shasta whites
despite my dedicated TLC.
Though my friend Jenny's reach to soaring heights,
what Jenny's have that mine don't, I can't see.

             Come on, now, I say
             You were Grandma's favorite.
             Why won't you bloom
             for me?

I visit Jenny, notice daisies' home.
The blooms face east with nothing in their way.
Aha! Mine lack the sun! No wonder that
I've had no luck at growing Shasta whites.
~~

photo by C. Hoggard




4 comments:

  1. You are a prolific poet...how you do it - and so succinct. Great poems. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've buried a kitten and I, too, have trouble growing daisies. But you express so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're an accomplished wordsmith! Nicely done. The one with the kitten ripped my heart out. Poetry has the ability to simultaneously be evocative to the place to which it transports you, and also stir emotions not felt for some time. You are very skilled! Peace! - DDM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the kitten poem. And love the picture by C Hoggard.

    ReplyDelete