Thursday, August 6, 2015

August poems - cinquain sequences

Thank goodness for air conditioners
 
 
 
 
Grass needs water, too
 
I pull
grass by handfuls
from the newly-planted
holly and azaleas, grass that
grew like
 
ivy,
thieving water
meant only for the shrubs.
At least, in this arid summer,
grass lives
 
and thrives.
On my knees, my
fingers, like lips of cows
cropping pasture hay, tear at its
trespass.
~~~~
 
The Contest
 
Hearing
cicada's call
nearby, I look to see
the cat, which has batted it to
the grass,
 
and now
sits guard, teasing,
ignoring eerie screams.
Flyswatter in hand, I rescue
the beast,
 
flicking
it. Flying low,
the insect leaves, but cat
gives chase, bats it down again. It
escapes.
~~~
~~~
c PL 2015
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm familiar with the battle of the grass. Enjoyed your verses!

    ReplyDelete