Monday, August 17, 2015

August--a month of poetry submissions--and new pieces

PL - southwest corner of Couchwood, 2015
 
Hasn't the crape myrtle been gorgeous this summer? Last December, son Eric liberated this bush from its burden of honeysuckle and privet, which--up to that point--had sparse blooms peeking out wherever they could find a dab of sunshine. When the bush was the only thing left, its branches were bent, reminding me of a skeletal mastodon of early times. See the photo of its bareness below.
 
By mid-month, I'd entered the PRA's monthly contest (any subject, any form), and had mailed off 15 entries to the National Poetry Day in Arkansas event in October. Last year's $80 wins spurred me to enter again this year.
 
Then, I followed through--finally--on my New Year's resolution to submit 5 poems to Larry Thomas's journal, Third Wednesday.
 
Here are some poems written last week.
 
TANKA
no-longer quiet
neighborhood--
earth movers on two sides
plus the roar and bite
of dump trucks
~~~
THREE CINQUAINS
A  dearth
of butterflies?
Today, a small, yellow
one flies around the bright-colored
porch flag.
~~
Sprinkler
on the dogwood
and redbud. At least that
corner of the yard will still have
green grass.
~~
Almost
afraid to view
the proof of my new book
on the new Kindle e-reader
I bought.
~~
~~
The bare crape myrtle last December after Eric cleaned the vines and privet away
 
c 2015 PL
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Oh, you have been busy! Wow, you cleaned up some money with your lines. I hope you do it again this year! I too have sent off some things this month. I get discouraged, but you know, I sometimes love my own stuff so much it doesn't matter if "the suits" like it or not. Ha-ha. The not quiet neighborhood I like best as I can "hear" those earth movers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to enter the MSPS Summer contest, tho' I haven't done well there in the past. Oh, I won once, I think. Thanks for reading/commenting.

      Delete