Thursday, September 12, 2013

Time for reunions

REUNIONS

R  eunions--whether in families or for friends
E  voke ebullient anticipation or edgy dread.
U  nderlying our attendance is a vulnerability
N  atural to those who've grown apart. What if
I   'm too big, too bald, too bold, too shy? Can
O  thers accept what I've become? Alas,
N  o one is responsible for me but me.
S  ympathize, empathize. Life
                                                c
                                                   o
                                                     n
                                                         t
                                                            i
                                                               n
                                                                   u
                                                                      e
                                                                         s.
[from variations, 1994, c PL]

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, m'dear. I wrote it for a high school reunion that included a decade's worth of folks. They'd asked me to be a presenter. Ooh, what an honor.

    ReplyDelete