Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fingers, Fists, Knees or Noses



[a Gardenia poem pattern whose origin I couldn't find in a non-exhaustive online search]

HOT SPRINGS, (AR), September 24, 1939. --In an effort to reduce stealing of bird dogs, Police Lt...Kauffman began taking the noseprints of such animals at the Whittington Avenue fire station this afternoon. More than 50 owners had impressions taken of the noses of their dogs. A charge of 50 cents was made to cover actual expenses, and for this the owners got the dogs' noseprints...

The sheriff proposes
that printin' dogs' noses

will cut down on thievin'
and keep us from grievin'.

Let's stop all our riddlin'
and fork out a piddlin'

four bits (fifty cents)
to cover expense.

We'll keep those illegals
from stealin' our beagles.
~~~~

PL, published in variations, 1994

3 comments:

  1. I like this poem, and I guess I must have that copyof Variarions, 1994, someplace on my shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't find the particulars of the Gardenia form online. Don't remember where I found it to write the form. Do your sources list it? Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete