Saturday, March 31, 2018

A Guest Poem for Easter

The late Verna Lee Hinegardner, former Poet Laureate of Arkansas

DEVILED EGGS FOR THE POTLUCK
(A Monologue)
by Verna Lee Hinegardner
from Mosaic, published 2011

You remember how I always detested Potlucks?
Well, the ladies at church had another Potluck today.
Remember how I never knew what to take? Well,
plain as day, just like you were in the next room,
I heard you say, "When in doubt, take deviled eggs."
I was in doubt. I got out the eggs.

We still have the same Egg-man we had when you lived
next door, you know his spiel: "Extra large fertile brown
eggs delivered to the door a dollar a dozen year 'round."
And, by the way, he has another grandchild, a little girl,
born Christmas day, "Pretty as a picture," he says

But, let me get back to my deviled eggs. Just as
the water began bubbling, I suddenly thought about
one dozen little yellow chicks who would never peck
their way to freedom--never chirp on Easter.

It is I who chipped the shells from white ovals, I who
mashed the yellow yolks, added mayo and relishes,
I who filled waiting whites and sprinkled paprika,
and I who served one dozen little abortions
to unsuspecting Christians.

I needed you, Old Neighbor, so I
could pour my misery in your ears.

#
This is Pat: Even if the poem's protagonist was miserable, we are happy to celebrate the risen Christ. Hallelujah! 




No comments:

Post a Comment