Monday, December 25, 2017

At the close of 2017: a Christmas Day poem

                                                              


A REFLECTION FOR THE END OF 2017
(an Octo Sequence)

In Advent, twenty-seventeen,
I’m doing what I love to do
at Ebenezer U. M. C.—
that’s play piano every week 
for worshippers and those who seek.
At Ebenezer U. M. C.,
I’m doing what I love to do
in Advent, twenty-seventeen.

Where needs and talents lie in sync,
I’ve always heard, a mission calls.
The Holy Spirit fingered me,
and I’ve been playing all this year,
selecting service music dear.
The Holy Spirit fingered me;
I’ve always heard a mission calls
where needs and talents lie in sync.

The church is fifteen miles away
with many curves and valleys, hills.
(My trusty Taurus runs just fine.)
At eighty-one, still sound of mind,
––my genes and angels have been kind––
 My trusty Taurus runs just fine
through many curves and valleys, hills.
(The church is fifteen miles away.)

As long as health and age allow,
I’d like to keep this music job
because I love the people here.
Unless the winter’s icy, wild
we’ll celebrate the Holy Child.
Because I love the people here,
I’d like to keep this music job
as long as health and age allow.



c 2017, PL

No comments:

Post a Comment