Wednesday, April 6, 2016

An Ogden Nash poem for spring

photo by sister Carolyn Hoggard
 
THE HAT'S GOT MY TONGUE
 
A girl, oh a girl is a wonderful thing,
And so I am happy to say is spring,
And a girl in spring is the absolute works
But for one conspicuous item that irks:
That hat.
 
A girl in spring is a skylark's hymn,
An evenson in a cloister dim,
A moon in June and a dove in love,
 But why the discordant detail above:
That hat?
 
The crocuses put their best feet foremost,
The softest, tenderest raindrops pour most,
Nature walks forth in a robe of dawn,
And you, my love, what do you put on?
That hat.
 
Purple the lilac and green the oaks,
Is spring the time for a milliner's hoax?
Your taste, methought, simply hibernated;
But what did I get when for spring I waited?
That hat.
 
A girl, of a girl is a wonderful thing,
And so I am happy to say is spring,
And you are what I adore the sight of;
That hat is what I adore you in spite of--
Take it off and let's jump on it!

from Good Intentions, p.39                                                                                       (Google Image)


1 comment:

  1. I saw several young women in hats like the one above Easter. I never looked great in hats, so I'm glad they aren't so in.

    ReplyDelete