Tuesday, February 16, 2016

February Etherees - poems

DECONSTRUCTION
I
pour out
a saucer
full of trail mix
from SAM'S: finger-thick,
salted raisins go in
a glass jar; shake out peanuts
and cashews laced with M-and-Ms
on a napkin. The brightly-colored
candies jarred again for yogurt sundaes.
~~

SANS ELECTRICITY
The
ice storm
on Christmas
of two-thousand
will be remembered
for its severity:
broken limbs and fallen trees--
many pulling down power lines.
Pioneers bundled up, lit candles,
soon refugeed to any place with heat.
~~

UPSTARTS!
A
twenty-
six-year-old
thinks his budget
for the state's better
than the governor's plan.
What hubris! What chutzpah! What
egotistical bravado!
Then I recall that after college,
I thought I, too, could change my local world.
~~

FEAR OF FALLING
Once
bitten,
nature's fault;
twice bitten, it's
mine. I moved the car.
Hearing the soughing winds,
I quickly drove it farther
up the driveway. Spindly maple
limbs, even if they fell, wouldn't bash
the car's roof, as happened with oak branches.
~~

PL, c 2016
Etherees were "invented" by a Malvern AR woman, Etheree Armstrong. A syllabic form of 10 lines, beginning with one syllable and ending with ten.


2 comments:

  1. "finger-thick" is my favorite line. Wow. thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I like this form. And I remember 2000, my first Christmas in Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete