Sunday, February 8, 2015

To my friends this Valentine's season: a sonnet

My brother Guy Couch's begonia
 
 A Sonnet to my Valentines
T  o celebrate this holiday, I’ll try
O  utlining, crafting English sonnet form.
 

M  y further, harder task will be to tie
Y  et other undertakings to it: warm
 

V  ernacular, like choc-o-late, plus rhyme
A  nd meter (dull iambic, some folks think).
L  a-bor-ious it may be, this winter. But,
E  ach word must serve to build and fill a chink.
N  eglectful, some folks overlook a “turn”
T  he sonnet needs. For now, I’ll turn to snow,
I  de-al during February. Spurn
N  ot cold; delight in its short visit! Oh,
E  lusive muse, Erato–– Valentine,
S  tay with us, love us––snow or not.   Be mine!
 
c 2015 Pat Laster dba lovepat press


No comments:

Post a Comment