Thursday, April 10, 2014

Three poems on quilting

[from Google images] 
 
 
 

THREE POEMS ON QUILTING
      ---from Macheski's "Quilt Stories"
 
I. The Quilting Party ( a Minute form)
 
Deaf Hephzibah sits down to quilt,
   her head atilt,
   and tries to hear
   with her good ear.
Young Phoebe says, I'll piece some blocks..."
   "You'll twist your locks?"
"...the lover's chain."
    "...an awful pain."
"So how's your husband this hot day?"
   "I know I'm gray."
"John's sawing wood?"
 "I'm feeling good."
~~
 
II. Memories (a Cameo)
 
Vivid
scraps of calico,
remnants of bright copper cushions
from Mother's
easy chair; dancing-school ginghams,
the rich silk I bought myself--
quilting.
~~
 
III. He CAN quilt! ( a Pensee)
 
Brother--
mischievous--begged
allowance to try quilting.
(White thread on dark cloth--easier
to rip out)... His good stitching stays!
~~
 
[PL, published in Old-Millpond Anthology, 2004]
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment