Thursday, January 30, 2014

One-twelfth of the new year gone already

sweeping the rug
one long cat whisker
and then another
~~

before tonight's freeze
plucking four inch-high buds
of daffodils
~~

graveside service
momentarily halted
two geese fly over
~~

TANKA

5 degrees outside
55 inside, with ice
on the thin windows
   layered and lap-robed
   I watch birds out in the sun
~~

blackbirds in the yard
pecking among the crisp leaves
robins on the roof
~~

cat wiggling
through the barely-open door--
below freezing
~~

c 2014, PL lovepat press

5 comments:

  1. Nice short forms! Hard to believe the year is going by so quickly. My month of poetry has flown! What fun it was to mingle with poets around the globe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I friended someone from (I think) Africa the other day: her request. I questioned why, and she said she was not up to anything bad. Calliope is receiving submissions from all over the world. Too bad the postage is nearly prohibitive for sending contributor copies.

      Delete
  2. 55 degrees! Girl, that's too cold! I enjoy your way with words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it soon warmed to 65! And I have plenty of clothes to layer with. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete