Thursday, February 28, 2013

February 28 - various years, two authors

1997
late February
windows open all night
but snow's forecast
[PL - Connecting Our Houses]
with Dorothy McLaughlin
~~~~

2003
editor's illness
I read his final issue
as a eulogy
[PL - February's Fallout]
~~~~

2004
quiet pond
mirroring perfection
of all things
[the late Dion O'Donnol,
daily moments]
~~~~

2005
chinese jade tree
alabaster lotus bowl
drinkers of the wind
[Dion O'Donnol,
best of days]
~~~~
swinging on a branch
between the dogwood clusters
a mockingbird
[PL - winter's loose ends]
~~~~

2006
unexpected snow
sending students to Hastings
instead of high school
[PL - hearing puffs of snow]
~~~~

2013
resigning
his second day on the job
at the Pentagon
that makes my 7-week stint
seem like an eon
[PL - drop by drop]
# # # #

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, in 1997, I took a job directing the UMC choirs after a Henderson prof retired from a 15-year position. I had plenty of experience and a Master's degree, but all the college profs made me ...let me rephrase that: I felt under educated amongst such "august" singers. Oh, the minister was in the choir and sat up there talking/laughing, etf. When, after 7 weeks, I was apprised of a hiring committee meeting, I bolted. But not before writing a stinging letter to the preacher alleging harrassment of the worst kind. Left the employ that very Friday but stayed in the town and began attending the Prez church. [Short story long.] And later, after I'd gone back to my old church job, that very preacher became the District Superintendent (LEADER). Kind of a bitter pill.

    ReplyDelete