Thursday, January 19, 2012

In honor of my baby's 40-something birthday: poems about family

[written in 2000]
thirty years ago
to hospital on fresh snow
second daughter's birth
~~~

[written in 2001]
first, Christmas, then ice
overlooking my last child's
mid-month birthday
~~~

in my mother's yard
her mother's yellow rose
~~~

*the eternal hum
of the fan used to block
grandchildren's TV
[*Season's line.
Season is the pen name
of Carolyn Thomas, CA]
~~~

someone's pet cat
is now road kill
omigosh, it's ours!
~~~

[written in 1998]
the long snow break
my young grandson's inventions
using last year's toys
~~~

my boy in the snow
the neighbor inside our house
eating popcorn
~~~

sixty-four-year-old
runs back to Mama's warm house
during the outage
~~~

Three pets
sleep on my lap,
a cat and two small dogs,
their being at my whim, trusting.
Pure faith
[by Lew Taylor, Stillwater OK]

c 2012 by Pat Laster and Lew Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment