Friday, May 13, 2011

A TRIBUTE TO Mrs. ETHEREE ARMSTRONG

...who invented the Etheree poetry pattern. She lived in Malvern, Arkansas. Below is a sequence of three etherees, one mirrored. This was written for a contest about any unnamed Arkansas poet. Can you figure out the pattern?


Counting syllables
by Pat Laster

I’d
give up
my first born--
well, maybe not––
if I could create
a poetry pattern
like she did––accepted by
writers, editors, publishers
around the world. I wish I’d known her,
but hearing her son speak will have to do.

The pattern looks so easy––it’s unrhymed,
syllabic, but, the poet warned, it
should have rhythm, meaning and
those images that poets’
senses find. Or it must
carry undertones
of a second
meaning, some
other
tack.

I
wonder
how many
poems in this
form, in this pattern,
subscribe to her second
rule? When blue jays peck suet,
and kittens cavort nearby, how
can anyone in her poetic
mind not get confused counting syllables?
~~
c 2011 by Pat Laster dba lovepat press

No comments:

Post a Comment